First Roll

Well, it's official.  I'm in love with film.  These are from my first roll of film--Portra 400.  I shot these last night in the early evening sun with a Nikon f100 and a 50mm 1.4 set at 2.2 with shutter speeds varying between 2500 and 6400 (for photography nerd interested in that stuff).  I also used my digital camera to double check my settings before I started shooting (I set it at ISO 400 and the aperture I wanted and then took a shot using the shutter speed I thought I'd need to make sure I was in the ball park).

I was just too impatient to have them sent to a lab and I really wasn't sure how they'd turn out so I took them to Walgreens this morning to have them developed.  Putting the disc of my scans into my computer when I got home was like opening the most exciting Christmas present imaginable.  I squealed as I looked through them.  I am absolutely hooked already.  Even though there's a TON of room for improvement and so much to learn, these images just look and feel like me in the way I try to get my digital images to look.

I'll always shoot digital but I really look forward to learning and practicing more with film and seeing the ways it influences my digital work.  With film there's a real sense of needing to take a moment, breathe, make sure what you see through your viewfinder is exactly what you want to capture.  And there's no sense in taking 10 duplicate images and hoping one of them looks the way you want.  I found myself really being patient and waiting for moments.  I think that mentality will help my digital photography grow so much.

Thanks for looking!



















Pin It Now!

2 comments: